2 naan flatbreads (homemade – see recipe above- or store bought)
1 yellow squash, cut in half and then into moon slices
1 portobello mushroom cap, sliced
8 asparagus spears, ends off and sliced into 1 inch pieces
1 red pepper, seeded and sliced
1/3 cup Kraft French Onion Dip
salt and pepper
1. Arrange vegetables on a grill tray, lightly spray with olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper on top. Place on preheated grill over medium heat, cover, and cook for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Remove from grill and set aside.
2. Taking 2 flatbreads, spread about 1 TBS Kraft French Onion Dip on top of each. Arrange vegetables evenly on top of the dip, then dollop remaining dip on top of vegetables.
3. Place on the grill, close, and cook for 3-5 minutes, checking to make sure they don’t burn. Remove and set aside for 2-5 minutes.
4. Slice in half and serve immediately.
Makes 3 cups
1/4 cup carrot juice
1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup spinach
1 cup roughly chopped kale, ribs removed
4 small broccoli florets, sliced and frozen
1 banana, peeled, sliced, and frozen
1 appled, cored and roughly chopped
Combine ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
5 pound rump of beef
2 or 3 tablespoons fat or oil
2 onions, sliced, or 10-12 small white onions, peeled
1 or 2 carrots, scraped and cubed
Herbs and other seasonings as desired
1 cup liquid (wine, bouillon, tomatoes, vegetable broth, etc.)
Other vegetables as desired
Season the flour with the salt and pepper and pound the mixture into the meat with the edge of a plate. Brown meat on all sides in the hot fat or oil. Add the onions, cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes. Add the carrots, herbs, seasonings and liquid. Cover tightly and simmer 3 1/2 – 5 hours, until meat is fork tender. Add desired vegetables during the last 20 or 30 minutes.
Pot Roast Variations
1. For part of the liquid, use a 10-ounce can (1 1/3 cups) of puréed tomatoes. For seasoning, add 1 tablespoon minced parsley or dill. When the meat has been removed from the pan, add 1 cup sour cream to the sauce.
2. For the liquid, use 3/4 cup dry white wine, 2 tablespoons brandy or rum, and 1 tablespoon chili sauce. For seasoning, add 4-6 coriander seeds and 12 peppercorns.
3. For the liquid, use 1/2 cup syrup from canned fruit, 2 tablespoons vinegar, 1/2 cup water, 1 beef bouillon cube. For seasoning, add a pinch of powdered fennel and a teaspoon of minced dill.
4. For the liquid, use half dry vermouth, half chicken bouillon.
Broiled Maryland Crabcakes with Creamy Herb Sauce
1 large egg
3 Tablespoons mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon brown mustard
1 Tablespoon all purpose flour
1 teaspoon seafood seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound lump crabmeat
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 small shallot, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
Creamy Herb Sauce (recipe follows)
Beat egg, mayonnaise, mustard, flour, seafood seasoning, salt and pepper until well blended.
Stir in crabmeat, parsley, shallots and garlic until crab is coated with mayonnaise mixture.
Preheat toaster oven on broil.
Place 1/4 cup crab mixture on broiler pan; lightly press down. Repeat with remaining mixture. (these crabcakes are delicate and don’t have much filler)
Broil crabcakes 8 minutes, turning once.
Serve with Creamy Herb Sauce.
¼ c. finely chopped pecans
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 tbsp. Chinese five-spice powder
1 good quality cooked ham
2 medium onions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, pecans, butter, and five-spice powder to create a fine, crumbly mixture. Using your hands, rub mixture onto ham.
In the bottom of a heavy roasting pan, scatter onions; then add 2 cups water. Place ham atop bed of onions and roast until glaze is glistening and deep brown, 1 hour 40 minutes to 2 hours, checking occasionally to make sure water hasn’t evaporated (add 1/4 to 1/2 cup more, as needed).
Slice ham and top with pan juices, including onions. If sauce is too thin, pour liquid into a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and reduce until desired consistency is achieved.
1/2 cup mulled apple cider
1/4 cup milk or cream
2 scoops of vanilla ice cream
dash of cinnamon
Combine apple cider, cream, and ice creamed.
Blend with a blender for a minute until well combine.
Pour into a glass and then top with whipped cream and a dash of cinnamon.